Wednesday, April 2, 2008

World Autism Awareness Day

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. If you know someone who has a son or daughter with autism, please give them a hug today. Chances are they will need it!

Just some facts to know about Autism:
Did you know…
•Autism affects as many as 1 in 150 children and 1 in 94 boys
•Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the world
•More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with diabetes, cancer, & AIDS combined
•Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
•There is no medical detection or cure for autism, but early diagnosis and intervention improve outcomes
•Autism does not discriminate by geography, class, or ethnicity

We've all seen these facts a million times, but until you know someone or you are personally directly affected, those words don't mean alot. Hopefully there will be a day when everyone is accepting of those with Autism.

Traci, thanks for letting me copy and paste from your blog.

3 comments:

Traci said...

Lauren-
Thank you so much for being such an inspiration to me! You are the encouragement that everyone should have in their lives! I feel so blessed that you came into my life when you did and I thank God that I FINALLY have someone who knows what a bad day can really be like!

I look forward to someday meeting the wonderful mommy that Price and Rylee have in their lives! Every word that you write means the world to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Amy McCown said...

I am glad that you left a comment on my blog. I am looking forward to reading more about your family. I liked your post about friendships. Girl friends are the best.

Have Darold and Tara had their baby yet?

Leigh Ann said...

Lauryn, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your comment. I'm so there with you. The pediatrician lack of concern over autism-like symptoms drives me CRAZY! We have been blessed with a ped that listens to us and is very supportive thank goodness. I have ran into so many parents where that isn't the case though. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment and send me to Traci's blog. It is so encouraging to get linked with people who are going through the same thing we are, so I thank you for that. I have already been looking and enjoying both your blogs and will be checking in on you a lot! Oh, and your children are adorable!